Who are we?

The Public Complaints Commission (PCC) is a five-person, non-police body appointed by the Saskatchewan Government.

Our goal is to ensure that the public and the police receive a fair and thorough investigation of a complaint against the conduct of police officers, or an investigation of a possible criminal offence by a police officer. The PCC was established by The Police Act, 1990.

The PCC does not have the authority to address matters about the conduct of members of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP). You may direct complaints about the RCMP to your local detachment, or through the RCMP Public Complaints Commission at 1-800-665-6878.

How do I know if I have a legitimate complaint?

Your complaint is legitimate if you have concerns about the conduct of any member of a municipal police service in relation to the performance of his/her duty.

Who can make a complaint?

  • Any member of the public, outside of the police service;
  • the PCC may initiate a public complaint when it may be in the public interest.

When should I make a public complaint?

To ensure that the best possible service is provided to you, it is in everyone’s best interest that you make your complaint as soon as possible. Normally, public complaints will not be accepted after 12 months from the date of the incident.

How do I make a complaint?

You can make a complaint by:

  • contacting the PCC by telephone, fax, mail, or at the addresses listed on the last page;
  • completing the complaint form found on the PCC’s website¬† and send it to the PCC; or
  • reporting a complaint in person or in writing to:
    • the Office of the PCC
    • the police service you have a complaint about
    • the Special Investigation Unit of the Federation of Saskatchewan Indian Nations (FSIN)
    • the local Board of Police Commissioners of the affected police service
    • Ministry of Justice and Attorney General
    • any detachment of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police.

What happens after I make a complaint?

You will receive written acknowledgement of your complaint from the PCC, and be informed who will be conducting the investigation.

If the investigation is not completed within 60 days, you will receive an interim report on the status of your complaint. You will receive further reports every 60 days until the matter is concluded. At the conclusion of the investigation into your complaint, the PCC will advise you of the results of the investigation and the review.

How will my complaint be handled?

Your complaint will be investigated by one of the following:

  • PCC investigators;
  • the police service whose member is subject to the complaint;
  • the police service whose member is subject of the complaint, with the assistance of an observer appointed by the PCC to monitor the investigation and report to the PCC; or
  • a police service other than the police service whose member is the subject of the complaint.

Regardless of who investigates your public complaint, the PCC will review the investigation to ensure it is thorough, fair, and impartial. If the PCC is not satisfied with the investigation and findings, the chairperson of the PCC may direct further inquiries be conducted and/or the PCC may make additional inquires.

If your complaint results in a discipline hearing being ordered, you may be required to attend as a witness. The hearing officer will advise you of the time, date, and place of the hearing. You have the right to attend the hearing, present evidence, and have a lawyer represent you.

Will a formal investigation take place for all complaints?

We will try to resolve your complaint informally, if the circumstances warrant consideration, and an agreement can be reached between you, the officer involved in your complaint, and the local Chief of Police. If we cannot reach an informal resolution, we will hold a formal investigation.

Can the PCC refuse to accept my complaint for investigation?

The chairperson of the PCC has the right to refuse to investigate some complaints, if the complaint is considered trivial, frivolous, malicious, unfounded, or made in bad faith. You may request a review of the chairperson’s decision not to investigate by the PCC.

How long can it take to process my complaint?

We make every effort to complete our investigations as quickly as possible. Our goal is to ensure thorough investigation of all complaints. The complexity of your complaint may determine how long the investigation takes. Public Prosecutions Division of the Ministry of Justice and Attorney General will review allegations of criminal activity to determine if there is sufficient evidence to proceed with charges.

What is the result of going through this whole process?

Your complaint will be investigated and reviewed thoroughly and in an unbiased manner.

The PCC may make recommendations to the responsible Chief of Police that could result in disciplinary action or changes in policing practices or policy. The PCC cannot direct monetary compensation for claims of financial loss on your behalf.